Sunday, July 11, 2021

Not So Green Thumb

The only thing that I had successfully planted was lemon grass, more than 10 years ago. Living near to beaches, sandy soil really helped the growth of lemon grass. It could grow in abundance even with minimal care. So my gardening experience stopped there, with the exception of watering plants grown by my family and friends.

Fast forward 2021, lockdown after lockdowns, being at home most of the time for months and I could not even travel interstate to visit my family, somehow gardening starts gaining my attention. This ongoing pandemic actually led me thinking about the possibility of humankind going back to basics. I for one, has no survival skills whatsoever. But I'm sure I need food, and the thought of growing my own food came to mind.

Of course I resort to Internet to find the way. Exploring YouTube, and I found many videos about gardening from kitchen scraps. There are so many vegetables and fruits that can be planted from scraps, and my first try was carrot. Put the carrot top in water and let the leaves grow from there. After that, transfer to soil. But my carrot tops all became rotten. After considering other options, I selected tomato. There are two ways: put tomato slice in soil or remove the seeds and put them in soil. I tried both methods, and it seems like there are some tiny plants growing. Not sure whether they are from the slices or the seeds.

Shopee is also my favorite go to website, and I discovered hydroponic set for beginners. Instructions are enclosed, seeds are given as well as the nutritional water. Based on the reviews, it seems like many people managed to grow plants using the set. Hopefully mine works too, insya Allah ameen.  


 

No comments: